About Flying Gurnards: Haven't seen any Flying Gurnards lately. Still like odd stuff. And sometimes I do stupid stuff and call it spontaneous. True story. I also don't have travelling shoes. They broke before I left home (omen?) and since then it's been mostly bare feet and flipflops although I keep killing them and consequently am on my fourth pair. I miss home. And everybody that makes it what it is. I feel fortunate doing what I do where I am. And I am still full o' love for life!

Thanks for reading Flying Gurnards & Other Concoctions.


With tons of love, big hugs and sunny smiles

Most recent posts below

Most recent posts below

Friday 25 October 2013

Top of Dubai

If you have read previous Flying Gurnards' posts you are probably aware that I got hopelessly lost in a Dubai mall and that it is not one of the my favorite places to visit. It is an elite city in the middle of a desert built around shopping. It is often referred to as the 'Do Buy' city by my employer and I think he is right on the money with that one. (Hey, let's build a bunch of islands in the shape of countries in the Arabian Gulf and sell them for millions. Somebody must be crazy enough to buy them!) Due to the intense coastal development and pollution the local marine environment is pretty much shell-shocked around those parts. I got really excited seeing a single tiny cuttlefish during one of the few dives I did around there. What a dismal place.
All in all, on my days off the last thing I wanna do is visit this superficial city but this time around on the drive into the Emirate I could hardly suppress my joy and impatience: My father was in town!

My father had decided that we were going to see Dubai in a different light, taking me to Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world. That evening, from high above, we saw the twinkling lights outlining Dubai. I have to admit, it was real pretty. And the elaborate Dancing Fountains (choreographed to epic music) below the Burj Khalifa put on quite the lit-up water show.

My father often shows me how to look at things from a different perspective. Not just in this fake city, showing me the glimmers of beauty that I was previously blind to.
He has an ability to remind me how life's experiences ought be seen, always cast in a positive light. My father has taught me that you learn from everything and everyone, and that this should be filled with joy and that it never ceases. So better soak it all up and enjoy the wild ride that life itself is.
He is a pretty cool dad. And the two days I got to spend within his calm and loving presence made me feel whole again after being so long and so far away from all who I love and cherish.
On top of Burj Khalifa

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
I vividly remember the first time I saw a pair of flying gurnards. It was a mesmerizing sight, not only due to my infinite love of unknown oddities but also because of the sheer grace and allure they exuded.
What would life be like without enigmatic experiences such as these?

Flying Gurnards & Other Concoctions contrives inspiration from both the mundane and the unusual and offers a quirky glimpse into adventurous times and enchanting encounters to be had on land and sea...
I've dusted off my travelling shoes in hot pursuit of remedies to alleviate Twitchy Feet Syndrome and its overriding nomadic nature - confronting it with a dapper dash of spontaneity, love and delightfulness